[mythtv-users] MythMusic Bounty Ideas

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 7 13:02:37 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 12:53, Steven Adeff wrote:
> <snip>

Steve,

To do this I think you're going to need to come up with firm goals first so
any potential developer knows a) what the goals are, and more importantly
that b) the goal posts won't move mid-development. Ideally some kind of
interface design/mockup/storyboard to start with.

Ideally this would be done face-to-face with a reasonable group of music
lovers, but that's obviously tricky due to dispersed nature of the users. So
you might have to settle for a cobbled together conference (skype?), and I
think inkscape has some kind of Jabber collaboration, so you could use that
as a whiteboard.

Then come up with a firm outline of what comes out of that. While things like
last.fm integration would be cool, it should only be a possiblity via an
extension/plugin, otherwise the amount of work will become too great, and
noone will go near it, and the bounty will languish. The more focused the
target, the more chance it'll have of getting done, and done successfully.

Finally, be flexible within reason. Put the plans up for criticsm, and when
valid, change the plan, provided it doesn't extend the scope.

Then I think you'd be in a position to post a bounty on that site you mention.

For my part, my single most important objective would be for the interface to
get me as close to the ease of use of Amarok for creating, selecting, playing
and managing playlists. (Of course the trivial way to do this is to have
MythMusic access the db of your desktop Amarok...) My secondary objective
would be a framework for extensions (but not the actual extensions) for
additional features (i.e. iPod, lasf.fm, shoutcast, radio streams etc.)

I'll admit that I'm still on 0.18, so I haven't seen what, if any,
improvements are in the soon-to-be-release 0.20 version. What I do know is
that 0.18 has a horrible UI to the point that I can't really bring myself to
use it. I just turn my desktops Amarok-driven diddy speakers up really
loud ;-) . If 0.20 isn't dramatically improved then I'm happy to throw in
some money, depending on the design/plan and acheivability.
--
Steve Boddy