[mythtv-users] Per Card Volume Control Bounty started

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 7 17:23:03 UTC 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Tom Lichti wrote:

> Isaac Richards wrote:

>>> Well, it was the best I could see from the options suggested. I will
>>> check out some other systems, if you have any suggestions, they
>>> would be
>>> much appreciated.
>>>

>> No, I don't have any other suggestions.
>>
>> I don't see how that's going to work.  People contribute $500 to
>> this, and
>> _you_ get the money right away.  No bounty completion required,
>> nothing
>> collected if it's under $500.
>>
>> Isaac
>>
> I realize that it's not optimal, but I don't see any other way to
> do it,
> aside from you running it, which I know is not going to happen. The
> only
> other way to do it is for the developer themselves to organize it.
> Unless people actually commit to paying, it's all on trust. Of course,
> that means you have to trust ME, which of course is a bit of a
> leap, but
> I know if I took the money without paying the developer, all the
> people
> who pledge money can go back to paypal for refunds. I can't really
> make
> people trust me, but I have given my name, paypal address and ebay
> id, I
> can provide more details if needed.
>
> The other option of course is to just have people add their name to
> the
> list on the Wiki, and they pay the developer directly, but again
> you are
> trusting that people actually WILL make the payment. I know I will,
> but
> will others? Anyway, it's all a moot point if no-one wants to either
> pledge or do the development work.
>
> It's a start, and if it fails, we will have learned something.

I think what you are trying to do is well-intentioned but impractical.

$500 US is less than you could make flipping burgers at a Manhattan
McDonalds for two weeks,  the actual value of performing such a
project on the open market is probably closer to $5000 or probably
more. At that level accounting protections would be a necessity, and
I think the IRS would begin to take an interest as well.

You might get a student to undertake the project as an "assignment",
but you would be right back to the open source project that Myth
already happily is. The "Summer of Code" was an example of this sort
of thing, how well did that work out ?

The failure of such a project would reflect poorly on Isaac, even
though he has expressed his negative opinion, some people would
associate him with it no matter what he says, and the result would be
negative publicity for the entire project should somebody fail to pay
up.

I think Myth works because it is open source, and would not and could
not work otherwise.

I believe this is what you will "learn", but I would hate to see the
lesson come at the cost of the project as a whole and Isaac's
reputation as well.

But of course this is only an opinion, and I would love nothing more
than to be proved wrong on this.