[mythtv-users] Per Card Volume Control Bounty started

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Thu Sep 7 18:11:25 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 1:33 pm, Tom Lichti wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > I think what you are trying to do is well-intentioned but impractical.
> >
> > $500 US is less than you could make flipping burgers at a Manhattan
> > McDonalds for two weeks,  the actual value of performing such a
> > project on the open market is probably closer to $5000 or probably
> > more. At that level accounting protections would be a necessity, and
> > I think the IRS would begin to take an interest as well.
>
> Well as a counter point, Plutohome paid I believe $1000US for the telnet
> frontend interface, which I imagine was harder to code that what this
> entails. I can't speak to the accounting/IRS implications. Heck, there
> is an old patch that may be close enough to working that it might not
> take much to tweak it for current SVN. I just don't personally have the
> knowledge to do it myself.

The telnet interface took about a week, IIRC.  I doubt Chris worked on things
anywhere near full-time, too.

> > You might get a student to undertake the project as an "assignment",
> > but you would be right back to the open source project that Myth
> > already happily is. The "Summer of Code" was an example of this sort
> > of thing, how well did that work out ?
>
> I don't know, actually.

Half of them failed (and didn't get at least half of the payment) - either
didn't get much of anything done, or just didn't do any work.  A few good
results, the remaining were acceptable.

And remember, those were all for $4500.

> > The failure of such a project would reflect poorly on Isaac, even
> > though he has expressed his negative opinion, some people would
> > associate him with it no matter what he says, and the result would be
> > negative publicity for the entire project should somebody fail to pay
> > up.
>
> I don't think he's against bounties per se, just the collection method.
> I'll let him speak to that.

It's mostly the collection method, but also the fact that if I'm going to be
getting paid for something, I want to be getting paid something reasonable.

If you helped a friend move to a new place, would you rather:
- Get paid $5.
- Get nothing more than maybe a beer at the end of the day.

That's pretty much analogous to how most bounties feel to me.

Isaac