[mythtv-users] MythTV: Best Remote Control

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Sep 7 19:58:55 UTC 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Allan Wilson wrote:

> I know there are a lot of choices out there as far as remote
> controls go and I am looking to change remotes and go to one that
> will do more features for me. I was wondering what everyone else
> out there was using successfully to do more than move around in the
> myth menus. Some features that I am looking to be able to do with
> one remote:
>
> Turn Tv Off/On
> Power PC on from remote
> Control Surround Sound with remote
> Possibly control mouse with remote
>
> The two that I have been looking at recently is the Universal
> Remote MX-850, http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?
> model=38, which won't turn my frontend off and on from what I can
> tell and the iMON Station, http://www.soundgraph.com/Eng_/Products/
> imon22.aspx?topMenu=2&subMenu=1&leftMenu=22, which won't do Power
> On, and the iMON Inside will do power on but you have to have an
> exposed 5" drive bay (I don't). So what is everyone else using for
> the ultimate remote? Thanks
>
> Allan

I picked up a learning remote from Radio Shack. It was about $20 for
the one with the most buttons. I basically just use that and learn
the functions I need on it. Volume/mute is learned to my surround
receiver, Input maps to my TV's remote's input button, I have
multiple power buttons to turn on and off every component. The rest
of the buttons map to the Hauppauge grey remote that came with my
PVR-350. It was the best way I could figure to do it with little
headache. Works like a charm as long as you keep all the other
remotes around to re-learn. It was especially nice when I got a new
receiver and TV and didn't have to fuss with the remotes that much.
Just relearn those functions with their accompanying remotes and all
was well.

I can't speak to the power on/off of the myth box itself since I have
a combined frontend/backend and it's on all the time.

-Brad