[mythtv-users] Scan for new music locks up at 75%

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Thu Sep 7 19:48:49 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 02:57:00PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> Same for me, I had a few tracks that caused it to hiccup like this. I
> did scan my 30,000 file collection during the week with no problems
> though.
>
> a great tagger (albeit for windows, but there are no good taggers for
> linux...) is "The Godfather" at
> http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/
> its free but not OSS, but the author is active on the board and very nice.

No good taggers for Linux?  Exqueeze me?  I baking powder? :-)

The program I prefer to use is "kid3", a KDE-based GUI MP3 tag tool.
The features include:
* View both id3 and id3v2 tags simultaneously.
* Click a single button to copy data from the id3 tag to the id3v2
  tag or vice-versa.
* Parse filenames (according to pattern you specify) to fill
  missing tag fields.
* Select and edit a group of files at the same time (to specify a
  common artist or album, for example).
* Use tag contents (and a pattern you specify) to rename files.
* Changes are transactional - you make all changes in memory and
  then either apply or cancel them all at once.  This is a vast
  improvement over other id3-renaming tools as you can see what the
  new filename would look like before it's changed.
* Import missing tag data from freedb or MusicBrainz (it checks
  song length as well as finding closest matches to any tags already
  present).

Of course, when you're dealing with 30,000 files there are some
other tools you can use to ease the pain.  The first I would get is
"checkmp3", which does exactly what the name suggests.  It will
identify broken files for you so that your tagger/renamer (and
MythMusic) doesn't run into trouble half way through a batch job.