[mythtv-users] Per Card Volume Control Bounty started

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Sep 7 21:09:47 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 September 2006 21:12, Brian Wood wrote:
> > I don't think the goal of this proposed bounty system is to try to
> > pay the devs
> > what they would make on the open market for their work.  They are
> > all doing the
> > work for free right now and $500 is a lot more than $0 so it seems
> > like a good
> > idea to me.
>
> What you say is true, and I think it proves my point that the
> developers are not motivated by dollars.

What a bounty system does is to potentially change the current relationship
between developer and user. As Isaac alluded to in his example, right now the
devs see themselves as users and other users are our friends/equals - the
moment you pay us for our work that changes. We no longer work with you but
for you and unless you offer to pay us a fair rate for our work we'd rather
do it for free.

There is also the question of expectations. Though you may insist that you
wouldn't expect more of us if you paid us, we all know that won't last.
Requests for support would start carrying arguments like "I paid for this
feature ...".

I wouldn't mind the extra money earned from bounties, but the work involved is
more than just the wording in the contract when you are dealing with
individuals. Companies are different, they accept that once the contract is
met that the relationship ends (or costs more) but individuals don't seem to
grasp it.
--
Stuart Morgan