[mythtv-users] Starting Over

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 00:59:45 UTC 2006

On 08/09/06, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
> Trey Thompson wrote:
> >
> > OK, I know some people said not to worry about it, but…
> >
> > I've returned my PVR-350.
> >
> > My best guess says that I should go to a PVR-150 and something like an
> > ATI Radeon 9250 (or even just a 9200).
> >
> > Does that sound OK to you guys? I'm on a new Intel MB, P4 3GHz, 512MB
> > RAM, 2 SATA drives, etc… Going to be a combo front/backend for a
> > while, then dedicated backend.
> >
> I think you are selling yourself short with an ATI card. nVidia is much
> better supported in Linux, and a 5200 card will give you great TV out
> quality.

Get a fanless 5200. In the UK I'm battling on with my ATI cards (9000
Pro, 9100IGP and Mobile 9700 in my laptop) but we also don't have HDTV
yet, so these cards can easily handle SDTV with the open source radeon
driver. Plus, ATI's trackrecord of producing good drivers is not good
either (maybe this will change now that they are owned by AMD), so I'd
also really recommend going NVidia.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: