[mythtv-users] Per Card Volume Control Bounty started

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Sep 8 01:38:58 UTC 2006

* On Thu Sep 07, 2006 at 02:11:25PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > Well as a counter point, Plutohome paid I believe $1000US for the telnet
> > frontend interface, which I imagine was harder to code that what this

> The telnet interface took about a week, IIRC.  I doubt Chris worked on things
> anywhere near full-time, too.

That's about right.  I spent all of one Saturday working on it and 1-2
hours here and there working out a few tweaks to the system.  I'd say I
probably spent maybe 20 hours max on it.  I had some free time around then
and already knew how I'd implement it once I read the initial bounty email
on the mailing list.  I probably wouldn't do it for $1000 now, because
my free time is more scarce in recent months.  $50 an hour average isn't
great, but I had the time and it paid for a few new LCD screens for my
wife and I.

> If you helped a friend move to a new place, would you rather:
> - Get paid $5.
> - Get nothing more than maybe a beer at the end of the day.
>
> That's pretty much analogous to how most bounties feel to me.

I agree.  A lot of the ideas are either on the end of the scale where
you couldn't collect enough bounty to pay someone (knowledgeable) to
code the project or they're simple enough where it's not worth the
time for the developer to deal with the bounty.

My experience with Pluto was very good, and I'd consider doing similar
work for them if I had the free time.  I think that dealing with
individuals would be a bit different.  Having to satisfy 20 people
chipping in $10 each to pay me for a couple-few hours work is a lot
different than having to satisfy one or two people at a company.

--
Chris