[mythtv-users] Upgrade motherboard/CPU without reinstalling FC5?

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 03:48:21 UTC 2006

On 9/7/06, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/09/06, kanetse at gmail.com <kane.tse at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have got a dedicated backend running MythTV-0.19-fixes.
> > Unforunately, the motherboard got fried somehow when I was plugging in
> > into a newly purchased UPS for the first time.  I replaced the
> > motherboard and CPU; then just turned it on with the same install of
> > FC5.  It can run and record shows, but it is somewhat unstable (kernel
> > panic twice in 4 days).
> >
> > I noticed that the kernel panic is being caused by the ivtv module.
> > Is there anyway I can salvage this installation without having to
> > reformat my HDD and reinstall FC5?
>
> As Mark suggests, it's very manageable to swap out hardware and have
> the system some back up afterwards with little or no fixing required.
> Do the obvious things like running memtest86 on the new hardware and
> checking your disks, then tackle ivtv.

Well, I went ahead and did the entire reformat of the system.  As
other users have suggested, it's better just to eliminate all the
problems now, and then you know your existing problems are new ones.

> > The old system was a Soyo P4VTE and a Celeron D340 (2.93 GHz), the new
> > system is a Athlon XP-M 2800 ECS 741GX-M.
> >
> > My bt8x8-based ATi TV Wonder PCI also no longer records with sound, I
> > suspect this is due to the ivtv replacing the msp3400 module that
> > comes with the kernel.
>
> On 2.6.17/ivtv 0.7 the only ivtv modules required should be ivtv and
> ivtv-fb - the other kernel modules that used to clash are now in the
> kernel so you shouldn't expect problems with those (might need to fix
> up your modprobe.conf file in case you have any old ivtv aliases in
> there).

So on my freshly reinstalled FC5, the kernel got upgraded to 2.6.17,
and once again; no sound on the bt8x8 card.  It's gotta be a problem
with the ivtv-0.7 or the msp3400 module in kernel 2.6.17, because I
downgraded to kernel 2.6.16 and ivtv-0.6 and now both bt8x8 and ivtv
cards have sound again.