[mythtv-users] Help! Backend freezes hard when recording two shows

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 03:55:49 UTC 2006

Here is my setup:

Athlon XP-M 2800 ECS 741GX-M
512 MB RAM

ATi TV Wonder PCI (bt8x8)
Hauppauge PVR-250
Hauppauge PVR-500

Mythtv-0.19-fixes
Fedora Core 5 (tried kernels 2.6.16, 2.6.17)

This machine is a master backend machine, no frontend use at all.
Whenever I am recording two shows, it always locks up hard after about
8-10 minutes of recording.  There are no kernel panic messages
displayed on screen; nor any sign of trouble in either
/var/log/messages nor /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.  The keyboard is
totally non-responsive (num lock lights won't even toggle), all I see
on screen is the login: banner.

I originally had the bt8x8 card and the PVR-250 recording, and that
locked up.  Then I removed the bt8x8 and just did PVR-250 & PVR-500,
and that locked up too.  By themselves, everything looks okay.  It's
only when two or more programs are recording that this happens.

Any one have some idea what is going on and why this is happening?  I
had this exact same configuration working fine with a different
motherboard and CPU (Celeron D340) last week.

Is there anything I can do get some kind of diagnostic as to what
might be going wrong?

Thanks!