Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 8 15:19:39 UTC 2006

CHRIS KOTTING wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 00:36:27 +0100
>> From: Dan Hawker <danhawker at macunlimited.net>
>> Subject: [mythtv-users] Touchscreen Myth Frontend
>> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> My first myth post, so please be gentle :)
>
> No problemo...  ;-)
>
> <snip>
>> # expansion - I'd also like to add a remote to this device (am lazy).
>> Unfortunately the touchscreen is serial based and the EPIA has only
>> one serial port. It also only has one PCI slot (soon to be populated
>> with a wireless card). Hence the lack of any additional serial
>> ports. The mobo has a CIR port on it. Has anyone connected a CIR
>> receiver to a EPIA board, did it work, is it compatible with LIRC???
>>  I've seen some dead cheap USB based IR remotes (incl receivers)
>> around, but have noticed on the list that these are generally
>> useless. Is this correct???  Would it just be easier to get one of these???
>
> I can't really help with the touchscreen, but what about this idea:  Get an
> IR wireless Keyboard set-up (receiver plugs into the PS/2 keyboard port).
> Get a Universal Remote of the type that you "train" with a standard remote
> (you can see where this is going, right?)  Use the keyboard and the table of
> Myth keyboard commands to program the remote appropriately.
>
> You don't even need to mess with LIRC, because as far as the frontend knows,
> it's hooked up to a keyboard.
>
> I haven't tried it, but it seems as though it should work.
>
> Chris K.

I don't know you level of thinkeriness, You'll have to splice or tap
into the 5VSB line.

http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/atxpower.html

It's the purple wire, pin 9.  Disregard the 10ma limit listed in the
link.  Most modern supplies supply up to 2amps, it's listed on the power
supply itself.

An easy option is to use a tap like:
http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=620&subgroupId=24
You usually can pick these types of taps up at Radio Shack, home depot, etc.

Calvin...