[mythtv-users] New Motherboard, any thoughts

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 17:04:14 UTC 2006

On 9/8/06, John Pierce <john.j35 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have MythTV 0.19 running OpenSuSE 10.1, which is sitting on
> an AMD Athlon XP 1800 and an old Biostar motherboard with the VIA
> chipset and a HopHog PVR 500MCE.  I have been bitten by the via
> chipset problem of have the system reboot spontaneously for sometime.
> I have under clocked this machine to the bare minimum and still random
> reboots ranging from 5 to 30 minutes of live tv, and forget live tv
> and record from the second tuner.
>
> So, I am going to buy a new mother board and I have a couple of models
> in mind, I was hoping that someone could give me some thoughts on
> them.
>
> First choice
> <<
> Gigabyte K8U ULi Socket 754 ATX Motherboard
> Imagine what you'll be able to do when you you've got a system running
> on the intimidating AMD Athlon 64 processor, DDR400 Memory, SATA hard
> drive, powerful AGP8X video, sensational Realtek audio sound, high
> speed USB 2.0 support and lots more? Games glittering with immersive
> graphics. You bet! Professional applications for work – not a problem.
> Just having fun with the computer.
>
> - Chipset: ULi M1689
> - Front Side Bus: 1600MHz
> - Processor Interface: Socket 754
> >>

> Second choice
> <<
>  MSI RX480 Neo2-F ATI Socket 939 ATX Motherboard
> MSI's remarkable RX480 Neo2-F. We just sealed a nice deal for this
> phenomenal Socket 939 motherboard, and we're passing on the savings.
> This is one high-flying motherboard, custom-crafted for AMD's amazing
> 64-bit Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core, Athlon 64FX and Athlon 64 processors
> with HyperTransport technology.
>
> - Chipset: ATI Radeon Xpress200P/SB450
> - Front Side Bus: 1000MHz
> - Processor Interface: Socket 939
> >>

> Third choice
> <<
>   Biostar GeForce 6100-M7 NVIDIA Socket 754 MicroATX Motherboard
> Be prepared to own a motherboard that exceeds the power of gravity.
> Biostar's new Biostar GeForce 6100-M7 NVIDIA Socket 754 platform will
> send your PC into a high-performance orbit that will hold you in
> thrall for years to come
>
> - Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6100/Nforce 410
> - Front Side Bus: 800MHz
> - Processor Interface: Socket 754
> >>

> I chose this order due to the number of expansion slots, I do not like
> just one or two expansion slots.
>
> I would any appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!
>
> John
> --

Without reading any of the other specs on the systems, if you are
buying a "new" motherboard right now, I'd stay away from Socket 754.
Socket 939 is a better design, definitely more versatile, and slightly
more 'future proof' than 754 (although now that AM2 is out, I don't
know how 'future proof').

-Chad