[mythtv-users] New Motherboard, any thoughts

Drew Bernat abernat at zathras.net
Fri Sep 8 18:56:49 UTC 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 1:25 PM, James Pifer wrote:

> Couple questions if you don't mind. I looked at this board on
> newegg and
> it get's a couple knocks because of a couple motherboard components
> that
> interfere with one of the PCI slots. Have you found any problem with
> this?

No, but like I said I don't have any PCI cards installed. I did have
a PVR-350 in one slot at one point without problems. So I can say
that one card will fit - other than that, I have no idea.

> Also, you say TV out was easy to setup. Can you elaborate a little?
> What
> distro are you using? What was involved with the setup?

Gentoo. I'm using stock 0.19 portage files for Myth, and the NVidia
kernel drivers. With Xorg 6.8 everything worked smoothly, and svideo
out just worked. With 7.0 X takes a while (30 sec?) to start up, but
since I leave the system running Myth it hasn't been a problem.

Again, the backend is on a different machine. This is frontend only,
so all I care about is video out (nvidia kernel drivers) and digital
audio out (ALSA, snd-intel-hda).

My current two issues are to get things working smoothly with XvMC
and to get Myth to pass through AC3 audio. I've got passthrough
working with mplayer and xine, so no problems there; and I was going
to wait for 0.20 to look at XvMC and AC3.

> My current BE is randomly crashing. I've been wanting to get something
> with TVout, so I'm thinking of upgrading the hardware and using it
> as a
> FE and BE. I have a PVR250 and PVR350 so I need to be able to use both
> PCI slots.

I can crack the system open and check whether that would be a
problem. The 350 will definitely fit. Hrm...

The SATA connectors (2 out of 4) and the CMOS battery are in line
with one of the two slots. There's 3" of clearance between the front
of the slot and those components; I don't remember how big a 250 or
350 are. I had a PATA drive (and now diskless) so I never noticed.

Drew

--
Drew Bernat
abernat at zathras.net
"Gentlemen, the stegosaur. Discuss" -- Axe Koala, 8-bit Theater