[mythtv-users] Option to save in DVR-MS format

Vince mythtv at drunkfools.com
Fri Sep 8 20:57:55 UTC 2006

I have rewritten this email 5 times.  I have decided the best way for me
to make my case is to describe how I want this to work.

Storing in DVR-MS format would enable me to set up a central Linux File
server to store all recordings from MythTV and Windows Media Center in
one place.  Even though MythTV has a superior frontend interface, my
primary desktop computer is Windows, so I'd like to use Media Center to
view all my recorded television.  Another plus to this is that I would
be able to use my Xbox 360's as frontends for my MythTV recorded
programming.  From my limited understanding and from what I have been
able to uncover from the web, DVR-MS is just MPEG2 wrapped with Media
Center's metadata.  Is it at all possible for MythTV to optionally save
it's recordings in this format with the metadata.

I love Linux for all server 'stuff', however I still prefer windows on
the desktop.  Right or wrong, the majority of the people on this planet
use Windows on the desktop.