[mythtv-users] [OT] CIFS/Samba problem in FC5

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 03:04:12 UTC 2006

I've been moving my MythTV box from FC3 to FC5 with a clean disk
install. I'm using Jarod's new FC5 guide which is excellent as usual.
However, I've run into a problem mounting samba shares. All my music,
photos etc live on another box which provides samba shares. It seems
that FC5 has deprecated the smb file system so you can only mount
these shares with the cifs filesystem. Unfortunately the version of
samba that ships with FC5 has a bug which prevents you doing anything
with the files - you can see them in a dir listing but can't cat them,
open them or anything. BTW - it's not me saying there's a bug, I found
this on a search.

So, does anyone know if there's anything I can do at the non-MythTV
end to make it share the files as cifs instead of samba? Or any other
workarounds?

Regards,
Phill