[mythtv-users] Computer to TV connection advice needed

Luis Navarro lnavar at grandecom.net
Sat Sep 9 13:10:13 UTC 2006

> So, here is question one: Should I get a computer to TV converter box
> and use my current video card and X config, or get a video card with
> s-video/composite output and deal with re-writing and tuning my X
> config?

I would definately go the route of using a video card with
s-video/composite -- less boxes, cables, etc; and a bit more flexible down
the road.  As far as setting it up, you may not even need to come up with a
modeline.  For my nVidia card, I was able to just simply specify the proper
TV-out format by using the config option:

Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"

as I am using HD, and did not even need to specify a modeline -- the driver
autodetected modes worked fine.  There is also an option for "NTSC-M", which
is what you would use for standard def. in the US.

>How hard is it these days to set up the X config
> for s-video output?

Pretty easy for nVidia:
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"or
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"You can see the driver readme at this link
for more info:
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-8178/README/appendix-h.html

>That brings up question three: (much lower
> priority) If I focused on a video card, what outputs work best for
> future use with a HDTV (USA) TV; s-video or DVI?

You'll definately want DVI, or at least component out, for High Def.  My
understanding is that S-Video can't output the higher resolutions needed for
HD.

Hope this helps.

Luis