[mythtv-users] MythTV box build story. part I

Richard Krehbiel richard.krehbiel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 19:39:17 UTC 2006

My kit of parts arrived Friday: MSI K9NGM2-FID, Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 1G
DDR2.  I took stock and discovered the old case I had intended for
this was too small (even though the MSI is micro-ATX).  I didn't have
time Fri night so Sat morning I visited a local computer store and
picked up a no-name case.  Not a bad little thing, actually.

The reports that the MSI K9NGM2-FID has some capacitors in the way of
the second PCI slot are right.  I have two pcHDTV-3000 cards, and one
couldn't fit because of those caps.  I grumbled and put it together
with one card... but then I decided to try something.  I got out my
soldering iron and removed the bottom connector (audio-in - what am I
going to do with audio-in?) from one card.  After that it fit just
fine.  So it has two pcHDTV-3000 cards installed.

I've gotten Fedora Core 5 loaded and "yum update"ed, and the latest
nVidia drivers installed.  I'm authoring this message with my new box.

Now I have more studying to do.  I plan to send 1080i to my 1080p
Westinghouse LCD via DVI.  I need to find the correct incantations for
that.  Then I need to find out how to route SPDIF coax to the Onkyo
receiver.  Well, onward...