[mythtv-users] stutter while recording two programs at once

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Sep 10 23:19:03 UTC 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 6:43 PM, Judd Tracy wrote:

> On 8/29/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

>>> it may also be a pci latency issue, I had similar occur with a
>>> PCI ATA
>>> card I'm using for part of my RAID array once I changed the latency
>>> this went away.
>>
>> The only thing that looks like an error or warning in my /var/log/
>> messages is:
>> Aug 27 16:11:13 mythtv kernel: ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer,
>> setting to 64 (was 32)
>>
>> Oh.. and ssh attacks attempted and failed on my system. :)
>
> Try taking a look at this:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_Latency
>
> Judd

/sbin/lspci -v
tells me:
00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller
(rev f3) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO
PriO])
         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.: Unknown device 815a
         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 225
         I/O ports at 09f0 [size=8]
         I/O ports at 0bf0 [size=4]
         I/O ports at 0970 [size=8]
         I/O ports at 0b70 [size=4]
         I/O ports at d800 [size=16]
         Memory at ad002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
         Capabilities: <available only to root>

00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller
(rev f3) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO
PriO])
         Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8N4-E Mainboard
         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 233
         I/O ports at 09e0 [size=8]
         I/O ports at 0be0 [size=4]
         I/O ports at 0960 [size=8]
         I/O ports at 0b60 [size=4]
         I/O ports at c400 [size=16]
         Memory at ad001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
         Capabilities: <available only to root>

So I did this:
[mythtv at mythtv ~]$ sudo /sbin/setpci -v -s 00:07.0 latency_timer=b0
00:07.0:0d b0
[mythtv at mythtv ~]$ sudo /sbin/setpci -v -s 00:08.0 latency_timer=b0
00:08.0:0d b0

But /sbin/lspci -v still tells me latency 0 for both devices.

I feel dumb that I can't read directions and get this to work how I
think it will work.