[mythtv-users] Problem with mythfilldatabase and home-brew grabber

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 00:41:10 UTC 2006

On 10/09/06, Ian Macdonald <ian at caliban.org> wrote:
> On Sun 10 Sep 2006 at 21:27:49 +0100, you wrote:

> > Are there any differences in how you invoke your grabber and the
> > grabber tv_grab_nl grabber that might cause MFDB to fail?
>
> No. Both are usually invoked with no flags or parameters.

Looking at the source of
/mythtv/programs/mythfilldatabase/filldata.cpp (I am not a C++
programmer so beware ;-) ) it would appear that when run, MFDB writes
to a temporary file in /tmp, so the grabbers are invoked using the
--output option, and do not write to stdout directly:

2576 	    else if (xmltv_grabber == "tv_grab_nl")
2577 	        command.sprintf("nice %s --output %s",
2578 	                        xmltv_grabber.ascii(),
2579 	                        filename.ascii());

When the grabber is run automatically from within MythTV, is this
temporary file created normally, or does it have a size of 0bytes? If
the latter I guess this is the problem - grabDataFromFile() is just
being passed an empty file, which would result in the EOF at 1:1
error.

If you give your grabber an --output option like the tv_grab_nl
grabber has, I wonder if it'll start working?

I still run both my grabbers (uk_rt and tv_grab_dvb) from cron scripts
(historically this harks back to the problems I uncovered in Jan 05
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/103481 with the
uk_rt grabber's integration with MythTV), so I've shielded myself from
MFDB running automatically from within MythTV. However, now that the
EIT scanning is maturing I might make everything automatic.

Cheers,

Nick

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/