[mythtv-users] Preferred video card

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 12:59:10 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/10/06 21:56, Dewey Smolka wrote:
> > >Both cards cost also around the same, so I'm going to pick one up. Is
> > >there a compelling reason to prefer the FX5200 chipset over the 6200?
> >
> >In short, probably not. The fx5200 has been the prefered card because
> >1) it works, and 2) it is (or has been) cheaper. MythTV users tend to
> >be a frugal lot, or at least tend to look for the best deals on a
> >given piece of hardware.
> >
> >I'm not aware of any issues or problems with the 6xxx series cards.
>
> Although the 6x00 series of cards use the 3D hardware for video (pixel
> shaders/video texture) and the 5x00 series and below use the
> chroma-keyed overlay approach.  Currently the overlay is better
> supported.  In the future, the 3D hardware may be better supported (but,
> by then, the 6200 will probably be available for about a dollar ;).

The new nvidia drivers support a new overlay system which Daniel plans
to being coding support for in a few months (he's on a MythTV
"vacation").
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/220039#220039

Which means, go ahead and get the 6200, it should be dual link capable
too, which makes it more future proof than the 5200 cards.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!