[mythtv-users] .20 RPMS / or time to go source? Thoughts?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Sep 11 14:03:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 09:49:26AM -0400, list at onnow.net wrote:
> Quoting jack snodgrass <mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com>:
>
> > I've been building the SVN mythtv stuff on my x86_64 and i686 FC5
> > boxes for a while now.  Builds fine from the svn stuff on FC5.
> >
> > I haven't tried to make RPMs yet. Does anyone now how easy it is
> > to build MythTV RPMs from a script?

> Excellent question. I would also like to know how to build an RPM in
> situations like this.  Being on Fedora, RPMS are very nice, but
> knowing how to build them from tar would be excellent.
>
> Any one know and care to show us how?

Simply put rpms are just a tarball with a foo.spec file that controls
what to do with the tarball (what environment is needed, how to setup
source, build it, install it and what the result files should be). It
gets a bit more complicated if you need to apply patches etc, but
these are the basics.

See for example http://dl.atrpms.net/all/mythtv.spec, which is a
specfile for mythtv 0.20.
--