[mythtv-users] Multiple media storage directories? (was Large Drive setup for myth)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Sep 11 19:13:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 01:47:26PM -0500, jack snodgrass wrote:
> Maybe my concerns for LVM are unfounded. I am sure that LVM is
> 'stable' but I'm more concerned with hardware failures.
>
> Say that you have a 1.5TB LVM partition made up of 4-5 drives. What
> happens to the 1.5TB of data if you loose one of the drives? Do you
> loose just the data on the drive... or do you screw up the whole LVM
> partition? How easy is it to get the 1.5TB - less the failed drive -
> back up and available? I'd hate to loose it all if one of the drives
> cratered.

You will.

Well, maybe you won't lose *everything*... but what's happening there
is roughly that you're using the LVM software drivers to emulate RAID-0
longitudinal striping, and then putting *one* filesystem on top of it.
If one of those drives blows, you're going to have a 200GB hole in the
middle of your 1TB filesystem, and yes, fsck will probably not be happy
about that.

There has been intermittent talk over the last couple years about
making MythTV know how to deal with multiple media storage directories.

I haven't been following either list too tightly, so I don't know
what's come of that topic lately.  Anybody know?

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_