[mythtv-users] Large Drive setup for myth

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Mon Sep 11 22:29:25 UTC 2006

I tore down my LVM a while ago, when one of the disks went and took the
whole thing with it. I now have 3 separate local filesystems, and 7
other filesystems on 2 other machines that I use for storage.

The whole thing is managed using symlinks, the automounter, nfs and
some scripts.

I have a script (based on myth_archive from the contrib) that copies
stuff off off the local filesystems onto the nfs mounted partitions
periodically and replaces it with a symlink. It prefentially moves
recordings that don't autoexpire.

/mnt/store is a symlink to one of the local disks. A script checks the
filespace available, and switches the symlink to one of the other
local filesystems when it gets too low. I've had no problem doing this
on the fly. The script also transfers the symlinks to the new
partition.

0.20 might have support for multiple recording directories,
so this bit can be retired. I wouldn't use it for remote
directories, though, since you're just increase the chance of getting
nailed by hardware problems.

The only "problem" I've had with this is that when you finish watching
a recording, for some reason the backend has the need to check on a
number of files, which causes a bunch of disks to spin-up and
automount, and that can take a while, and also ruins the point of
spinning down.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571