[mythtv-users] upgrading mythtv box HELP

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 19:30:17 EDT 2006

> ATM it's got an Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67 Ghz and 256 MB RAM and a 64 MB video
> card and a PVR 250-MCE.
> 1. Is that processor going to be sufficient with more RAM?

Should be as long as your're not trying to playback HD.

> 2. How many MB should I get for that processor to kick ass at MythTV
> functions?

I have 256MB and it hardly ever goes to swap space so should be enough.

> 3. What video card should I upgrade to that isn't going to break the bank or
> blow up. I need decent quality so it'll last for a while. And please, Nvidia
> only.

Any nVidia 5200 should be great. Get one without a fan to keep the noise down.

> 7. I've got a Thermaltake Volcano 7 CPU fan and it sounds like a jet engine
> it's so loud. Is there another fan that will provide sufficient cooling or a
> silent alternative that can cut down on the noise? The case has a side
> mounted fan to provide circulation. This will be going in my living
> room/kitchen so volume is an issue.

I've got a Zalman which is ultra quiet and excellent. I've also got a
Zalman ultra quiet power supply - remember that can be the source of a
lot of noise too.

Regards,
Phill