[mythtv-users] How to migrate a disk in SW RAID?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Sep 11 23:56:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 07:34:20PM -0400, list at onnow.net wrote:
> I have a 4 disk RAID in hda(b)(c)(d)
> I am adding a prommise IDE controler.
> I want to migrate the raid setup to be hda hdc hdf hdh
>
> Any one know how to do that?  The data on the drive will still be
> there, I just have to tell it to look somehwere else.

If you are using md then the easiest way to manage your array is to
use the "DEVICE partitions" directive in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
(which tells mdadm to search all known drives) and then refer to
the components by UUID instead of by device name, as in:

MAILADDR root
DEVICE partitions
ARRAY /dev/md1 uuid=e908352e:ae7b4c20:3eba5825:cd53aa6b

With this arrangement I can put any drive on any cable and
completely ignore the device name changes.

> Also, can anyone confirm that a single promise PCI ATA add in card has
> two seperate BUS's?  I am trying to break my RAID to one drive per BUS.

Yes, it does.