[mythtv-users] upgrading mythtv box HELP

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Tue Sep 12 00:56:54 EDT 2006

> 7. I've got a Thermaltake Volcano 7 CPU fan and it sounds like a jet
> engine it's so loud. Is there another fan that will provide sufficient
> cooling or a silent alternative that can cut down on the noise? The case
> has a side mounted fan to provide circulation. This will be going in my
> living room/kitchen so volume is an issue.

Scythe make some nice low/zero noise fans.  I have the the Katana- it is a
Universal (up to socket 939 I think).  Heatpipe, v quiet.  With an Athlon
1.6GHz it hardly need the fan.  It is big but light.

You will also need to change your northbridge cooler once the main fan
noise goes. Try Zalman, there are 2 coolers, I have the blue one with high
fins, and curved metal arms which clip into the motherboard.  WARNING-
once the clips go in they don't come out of the motherboard.

Then you'll hear your power supply (Antec and Seasonic make nice quiet
ones that are efficient with big quiet 120mm fans).

Then replace your case fans with 120mm fans (Panaflo) with speed controls.
 Then mount your disk drives on silicon bushes.

Then replace your case with a quiet one (Antec P180 is what I got... no
power supply included).

Now you have a nice quiet PC.   Easy!

Cheers,

Indulis