[mythtv-users] Colour/contrast

Tom Lawton tlawton at gmx.de
Tue Sep 12 07:40:23 EDT 2006

Hi,

  I've been using mythtv for a while on a PC setup and finally have
had permission to connect it up to the proper TV. I'm watching DVB in
the UK, using an Intel Core Duo HTPC (Intel graphics 945GM, using
i810 driver, connected via d-sub VGA to an LG 37" LCD TV).

  My main problem is that the picture isn't as good as using the TV's
own tuner. Part of this is probably the TV's various enhancement
algorithms, which don't seem to be active on the RGB input; but there
are other problems. Reds particularly can look almost luminous, and
hilights often look bleached.

  With MythTV I can adjust the brightness (currently on 43%) but
reducing it just makes the picture look dark. I can adjust the
contrast (currently on 19%) but it makes the picture look overdone,
or very weird if it's reduced. Attempts to change colour or hue just
make it jump to '-1%' and won't actually do anything.

  Any advice on sorting out the picture quality?

Thanks,

Tom

PS Is there any mythtv filter that could replicate the functions of
LG's "XD" image processing and reduce mpeg artefacts etc?