[mythtv-users] How to migrate a disk in SW RAID? WAS:Re: RAID 5 of different sized disks for mythtv storage?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 13:49:51 UTC 2006

On 9/11/06, list at onnow.net <list at onnow.net> wrote:
> I have a 4 disk RAID in hda(b)(c)(d)
> I am adding a prommise IDE controler.
> I want to migrate the raid setup to be hda hdc hdf hdh
>
> Any one know how to do that?  The data on the drive will still be
> there, I just have to tell it to look somehwere else.
>
> Also, can anyone confirm that a single promise PCI ATA add in card has
> two seperate BUS's?  I am trying to break my RAID to one drive per BUS.

If you set your partitions to be "fd" (linux raid auto-detect) then
you should be fine, the drives contain "signatures" of sorts that let
the kernel RAID driver know what partitions belong together. I've
moved Software RAID arrays between machines and the autodetect always
properly put the array together.

As for the Promise PATA card... Each channel on the old ATA is what
one could consider a seperate bus. (ie they can be used
simultanesouly, unlike two drives on the same channel)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!