[mythtv-users] quality

Sergei Gerasenko gerases at publicschoolworks.com
Tue Sep 12 12:27:38 EDT 2006

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before... I'm a newbie.

I'm running MythTV 0.18 on a box with an nvidia card, a 19" Dell 1950FP
LCD and a PVR-150. When MythTV is running full screen (1280x1024), the
quality is kinda bad. From a distance, it looks pretty decent though. I
understand that the "native" resolution of the PVR card is 480x480. If
I'm planning to watch TV mostly on the LCD, what's the best way to
increase the quality? Reduce the gui size?

If I decide to feed the signal to my TV, will it look much better?

BTW, I checked the deinterlace option. It didn't help too much, but
improved a little bit.

But even if I do 'mplayer /dev/video0' (and it's running in 480x480),
the quality is not stellar. Is that all because of the fact that I'm
using a computer screen?

The best quality I see is in those previews when I choose a recording to
watch :)

If this is a known "theoretical" problem, could you point me to a place
where I could read up on it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sergei