[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0.20 - PVR-350 video out... gone?

David Grant davidgrant at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 17:49:56 UTC 2006

On 9/12/06, Brian May <brian at bmay.org> wrote:

> >> need
> new
> >> I'm
> >>
> >> I'm in the same boat.. K6-500 with PVR-350.  The wife hates it when I
> >> upgrade things (usually on the software side) as something breaks and
> it
> >> takes a while to fix.  My latest try to fix is lirc.. the last update
> >> killed the remote, so I downgraded to the previous version and it STILL
> >> doesn't work. Now the wife is mad that she has to use a keyboard to use
> >> the TV.
> >>

> > I feel your pain. I haven't had problems with lirc though. What specific
> > versions are you referring to, and what distro are you using?
>
> Heh.. Fedora Core 3 and ATrpms..  (I told you the wife hates software
> upgrades..)  LIRC version is 0.8.0.. I can't get the exact versions as the
> box is not on a network...

Getting it on a network it helpful. Means you can do upgrades while your
wife is watching TV. ie. install a new version of myth. Then when she stops
watching, you restart mythbackend and frontend and see if it works. Useful
for me because with gentoo the package needs to be compiled which takes an
hour on my machine.

  usually the downgrade fixes the issue, but
> this time it didn't.  I'm sure the upgrade change a config file
> somewhere..

And it didn't tell you? You should try gentoo. It will never clobber a
config file without asking you. Or, backup /etc before upgrades. :-)

I do think that if I do get the lirc working again, I'll stop with the
> updates until I can get a new box..  evenmore so with the PVR-350 support
> going downhill fast..  :(

You mean PVR-350 decoder support. The PVR-350 encoder is supported well by
ivtv and I have no complaints. As long as you match the kernel version with
the ivtv version it's great (and stay at kernel-2.6.15 or lower). Seriously
try gentoo mythtv, I think it's support for mythtv is the best of all
distros.

--
David Grant
http://www.davidgrant.ca