[mythtv-users] tivo series 3 released

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 14:10:28 EDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/06 12:58, Craig Partin wrote:
>
> >Don't forget that the TiVo is basically and x86 PC.  If it has a
> >cablecard interface then someone will hack it.  If cablecard does take
> >off then MS will push for cable card interfaces for the PC as well.
> >It'll come around to linux eventually.   It may be a grey area like
> >DeCSS but I happily watch DVDs now.
> >

> Yes, but DVD's are used worldwide.  CableCard is US-only.  That means
> anyone in the US who attempts to crack CableCard is committing a federal
> felony offense (under the DMCA).  If CableCard were used outside the US,
> others--who aren't constrained by the DMCA--would have motive to crack
> it, thereby having a very different cost/benefit ratio than a US cracker.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that the encryption be cracked.  I was
imaging an add on piece of hardwae that would still need cablecard to
decrypt the signal.

> Oh, and DeCSS is gray like speeding is gray.  It's very much against the
> law--only you're not very likely to be prosecuted for doing it.  (True,
> you're probably more likely to be prosecuted for speeding, but the
> cost/benefit ratio is, again, very different--remembering that cost must
> factor in both penalty (which is smaller for speeding) and likelihood of
> prosecution (which is higher for speeding).)

How is it then that I get the code from public repositories then?  I'm
not being smart, but genuinely curios.  DeCSS is illegal under the
DMCA but it is still distrubted openly.  Or am I downloading the code
from offshore and breakin US law by using it?  I don't pay too much
attention to what happens when I emerge xine.