[mythtv-users] MythTV box build story. part I

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 18:45:53 UTC 2006

On 9/12/06, Richard Krehbiel <richard.krehbiel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've connected the new computer to the big LCD using DVI, and X detected it
> (nVidia 8774) and produced a veeeery nice 1080p display.  I can hook up a
> VGA cable and see how that looks, I suppose, but I doubt I'll like it
> better.

and why bother, DVI should be sending the signal digital, so you won't
gain anything going to VGA and you may lose some.

>  I do wonder what's better: running the display at 1080i and letting the LCD
> panel de-interlace, or using 1080p and having Myth do it.

The TV will most likely have a better deinterlace algorithm than what
Myth uses. But the best option is to try both and see which you think
is better.

>  A question for the developers, maybe: what about having Myth actually
> change the video output mode to match the source material (480i, 480p, 720p,
> 1080i), for those with TVs that already do a nice job of scaling, 3:2
> pulldown, deinterlacing, etc?

I do this already. Its not super easy, you have to manually tell it
which of your xorg.conf defined modes you want to use and what the
source resolution needs to be, but I have Myth play my 1080i stuff at
1080i, my 720p stuff at 720p and everything else at my TV's native
1080i. Its in the options somewhere =D

>  I haven't loaded MythTV software on the box yet, because (a) now I'm
> inclined to wait for .20 to show up on somebody's yum repository, and (b)
> there's no internet access in it's final resting place yet.
>
>  I don't have Ethernet throughout my house, and I'm averse to crawling (and
> I do mean crawling - vaulted ceilings) through prickly blown fiberglass
> insulation in the attic to pull such a wire.  I do have a Wifi access point.
>  So, I have another piece of hardware on order: a D-Link DWL-G730AP.  It's a
> $50-ish portable multifunction device that can bridge Wifi (as a client) to
> Ethernet.  (Wifi on Fedora 5 is apparently a jungle - this will greatly
> simplify things.)

the other option is Ethernet over Power.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!