[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs - audio and video questions

Trey Thompson trey at verustech.com
Tue Sep 12 15:20:34 EDT 2006

However,
> if
> > I click "View" from the DVD rip screen, it plays to the screen just
fine
> > (except audio - see below).
>
> Do you have it set to use the internal player or one of the external
> players (xine/mplayer)?

It's the standard .19 install from ATrpms (using yum), so I believe it's
using mplayer.

> > 2.  During the DVD Playback, I get just the "background" sound,
meaning,
> > music, sound effects, etc...  but I can't hear the person
talking...?  I've
> used
> > KMix, and turned ALL outputs up all the way...  ARGH?!
>
> sounds like it expects 5.1 channels and your only using stereo
speakers.

I thought about that while driving today.  So, I'm in the "line out /
Front L/R Out" port on my motherboard.  So, it seems to me that since
I'm just using stereo, it's only getting the front l/r channels.  But if
I plugged in a 6 channel speaker system, it should get it all OK.  Does
this sound correct?  I'm going to test with National Lampoon's Vacation
when I get home, I know that it's stereo only.

If that IS correct, is there a way to "combine" the audio into just
stereo output like a TV?