[mythtv-users] Apple iTV - potentially great HD frontend

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Sep 12 17:32:53 EDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 05:03:51PM -0400, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 04:27:34PM -0400, A JM wrote:
> >    I thought it already was concluded that HD via wireless is not an option
> >    as there wasn't enough bandwidth???
>
> The box could contain a hardware h.264 decoder, in which case I think
> there would be sufficient bandwidth for HD over wireless.

Well, it has to...since they are selling h.264 videos. The other point
is that the box is not going to be based on some x86 chipset like a
full-blown mac. Not at a $299 price-point. It's essentially going to have
a bill of materials much like the other network video appliances that are
out now. It's just going to be tuned around Apple's content delivery
mechanism. Most likely this means a Sigma Designs - based design...
it's a small embedded processor with hardware support for mpeg2
high profile decode and mpeg4 (h.264) decode. BTW, the *only* reason
to put HDMI on the box (with HDCP) is to allow them to deliver HDTV
content in the future. No one would add that expense unless they planned
to use it. The content providers require that going forward to get HD
quality content out of a box.

Keep in mind that it has Ethernet too, so if they can't design for
someting better than 54G you can always stream nicely over that
as all of us with HDTV myth boxes do.

-Matt