[mythtv-users] Nvidia GeForce 6200TC or 7300GS?

Nicholas Newberry nickthecook at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 21:27:46 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 15:36 +1200, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'm building a fe/be box (non-HD), and I think I've got all the hardware
> >pretty well picked out:
> >
> >system: Dell GX280 Small-Form-Factor (2.6GHz, 512MB, PCIe slot, PCI
> >slot, low-profile (aka: half-height) cards needed)
> >HDD: Maxtor 300GB Ultra16 PATA
> >capture: Hauppauge PVR-150 LP
> >
> >However, I'm still trying to decide between a GeForce 6200TC-based card
> >and a 7300GS-based card.
> >
> >I'm sure the 6200 is easily powerful enough to handle what I'm using it
> >for, and I like that it's passively-cooled and therefore quieter (can't
> >find a PCIe 7300 that's both half-height and passively cooled), but I've
> >heard some rumblings about the 6200 having some problems with the video
> >out. On the other hand, it seems there is very little experience with
> >MythTV and the 7300-series...
> >
> >Both are supported by Nvidia's binary linux drivers.
> >
> >Any advice for a newb?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> I've got a 7300GS and it's passively cooled, but normal height.  The
> card itself is almost low profile, but the heat sink makes it full
> height.
>
> It works fine with MythTV.  I've turned on XvMC just to play
> (Athlon64 3200+ and SD PAL Video), and every now and again the
> machine pauses during playback when the OSD fades out.  A quick press
> of the pause button, then another (to unpause) and everything is
> fine.  Quality is on a par with my GeForce 5700 on my machine
> downstairs.
>
> If you ever find a half height one you should have no problems with it...
>
>   - Wade

Thanks Wade!

I'm probably going to go with the 7300GS, just because I've heard of
people having some problems with the 6200TC, and now that you've vouched
for the 7300GS, I expect it'll work.

Anyway, the fan in the case I'm buying is virtually soundless, so I
don't mind if my graphics card make a little noise...

--
nickthecook.