[mythtv-users] Large Drive setup for myth

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Sep 13 03:35:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 11:28:08AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> But, if you're using /mnt/store and /mnt/somewhereelse (i.e. anything
> but /mnt/store/somesub), you didn't read my comments about how to set up
> your directory structure.  Please re-read
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/221271#221271

IMHO, that's a rediculous requirement for MythTV to impose on the
system.  Often times other mount points are chosen because the
mounted directory serves more than one type of storage (ie: Myth
isn't the only thing running on the box) and because some mounting
systems are simply easier to maintain if they are in the "standard"
places.  For example, in a cluster with nfs cross-mounts it's
typical to use the automounter and place all machines under /nfs or
/mnt/nfs.  Forcing people to mount filesystems under the mythtv
directory is either lazy, stupid or arrogant.  Not sure which.

A better solution (which was chosen by both the Samba and Apache
teams) is to "follow symlink if owner matches".  That allows the
owner of the computer to decide where filesystems are mounted.