[mythtv-users] Anamorphic PAL?

Ron mythtv-users at doobedoobedo.org
Wed Sep 13 11:29:55 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 11:51, Thomas Hood wrote:
> As I understand it:
> A 4:3 PAL DVB-T/ DVD mpeg stream is 720x568 non-square pixels which
> when displayed on a standard CRT TV is vertically squeezed slightly to
> 4:3.

it's actually usually 720x576 for DVD. DVB-T (UK Freeview) is 544x576. CRT TVs
are good at stretching horizontally.

> So my question is this:
> Using a PAL 'standard modeline'  (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database#PAL_625 )my TV
> works a treat vertically post-boxed.

cool

> But what signals the TV to use the whole 16:9 screen area?  Where can I find
> reference to PAL standard timings for 4:3 and 16:9. I can derive the 4:3?
> timings from the PAL 'standard modelines' but for 16:9 I can't find
>anything. In other words what does a bog-standard PAL dvd player send a TV
> in terms of timings?

The DVD player/STB sends +5V on SCART pin 8 to tell the TV it's a 16:9 picture
there is no change to the RGB or S-Video signal. I feed my TV +5V from my
power supply and myth handles the 4:3/16:9 changes.

HTH
Ron