[mythtv-users] MythTV box build story. part I

Gregory Keeney gkeeney at panasas.com
Wed Sep 13 19:24:06 UTC 2006

Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> You'll probably be best off running Ethernet, to be honest.
> Theoretically, 802.11b should have though bandwidth to do SD, right?
> Wrong. Wireless only gets around 30-50% of claimed throughput. Going
> full ethernet will just be easier. You'll only have to run the cables
> once (twice if you remove them), you won't have to deal with
> interference from things like phones and microwaves. Encryption won't
> be an issue. And there's far less overhead on wired ethernet than WLAN.
My experience with 802.11g is that I can only watch things MPEG4 SD content.

MPEG2 content almost works. But almost is not good enough.

I transcode everything to MPEG4 SD (no HD television). I can watch
anything that has been transcoded over the wireless connection, but I
need ethernet for any of the pre-transcoded streams; even the SD stuff.

Now, looking back at the thread, it is not clear that you were planning
on having a separate backend. If you are running the backend on the same
machine you have hooked to the TV, wireless is fine. It is only a
problem if you need to move video over the network.

--
Gregory Keeney