[mythtv-users] Best diskless front-end. Power saving time!

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 20:34:29 UTC 2006

On 9/13/06, list at onnow.net <list at onnow.net> wrote:
> Quoting jack snodgrass <mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com>:
>
> > I've started looking at using autofs for as many drives as I can,
> > moving stuff around so I can have as few 'permant' drives and
> > spinning down the drives that are unmounted by autofs. This
> > should reduce the heat, noice and electricity used by my
> > drives. I'm still working out the details. Do you have a lot
> > of drives in your systems? I've got 2+TB and I don't really
> > need all of that data mounted all of the time. ;)
> >
> > jack

... stuff deleted...

> I have 5 Drives.  I wonder how much power a PC with 5 drives uses?

Probably not a lot... 10-12 watts per drive.
I think that the heat is a bigger issue. My
office gets HOT and it's mostly related to
drives. I haven't been doing the autofs / and
spin down enough to get a feel for it, but
I do know what the drives are the hotest
part of my system.

jack