[mythtv-users] MySQL server has gone away

William Munson wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Sep 14 01:34:32 UTC 2006

Sergei Gerasenko wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've read a bunch of posts about that error but all of them suggest
> that it's because of MySQL 5. The thing is, I'm running 0.18 with MySQL
> 4.1. I couldn't even install myth with 5 because of SQL syntax problems
> in setup scripts.
>
> Anyways, anybody know what to do about this one? It seems like it
> happens every day and after restarting the backend, everything returns
> to normal.
>
> Any ideas appreciated!

I fixed mine by using some values I found on the web for optimal
settings for large databases.  I attached my.conf below.

PS - Its past time to upgrade that old version to at least 0.19. My
personal experience with 0.20 has also been great so far however I would
recommend waiting a few weeks for 0.20-fixes to get rid of the remaining
bugs.

-------------------
[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql