[mythtv-users] Making it work

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 12:19:26 UTC 2006

Gary Dawes writes:

> have you tried tscan at a command prompt? cnnot remember the exact syntax,
> but you will need frequency and qam for you local transmitter. there is
> plenty of stuff on the net about using the dvb utils and mplayer etc to
> scan
> tune, and then watch a dvb stream. try this site for information
> http://www.carfax.org.uk/docs/DVB/
>
> Also this site has channel details in for various transmitters
> http://linux.mikeasoft.com/dvb.php. What I had to do in myth was put the
> frequency and qam in for my local transmitter, before it would scan. the
> information you need is on the scan list for the transmitters. If the
> entry
> for your local transmitter has a channel list,  you could try downloading
> the channel list of that site, and importing it into myth.

I have tried scan (aka dvbscan - scan is Debian's name) but there is
something I don't understand.  If you look at the supplied transmitter files
(and if you look at the site references above) they only list one frequency.
My nearest transmitter, UK Crystal Palace transmits digital on 6
frequencies, and the lowest of these frequencies is below the one in the
supplied file.  So what does the transmitter file actually tell scan.  I
can't find any explanation of this at all.

 --
Alan Chandler
alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
(via webmail - normally means I am not at my computer)