[mythtv-users] Ati 9100IGP to PAL tv help

Graeme Wilford gwilford at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 12:57:00 UTC 2006

On 14/09/06, Chris Martin <council.tax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is a synchronisation problem.  Essentially, the system is mid way
> > > through updating the graphics buffer at the point it's pushed out to the
> > > screen.  Enabling OpenGL vsync seems to help with this (I've not had it
> > > enabled for long so I can't be certain on this - with previous drivers
> > > enabling this option totally messed up the display, so I've only just
> > > got around to retrying it).
> >
> > Definitely. I have the 9100 IGP and after finally getting OpenGL vsync
> > working with a 50Hz modeline, vsync is perfect and the bob
> > de-interlacer looks great. See here for details:
> > http://mezzanines.blogspot.com/2006/08/optimising-for-edtv-progressive-output.html
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Wilf.
>
> I think enabling OpenGL Vsync and kernel deint is the best I've got so
> far (bob won't work for me on live tv and doesn't look any different
> from kernel on recordings).
>
> If it's a synchronisation problem, is the solution one of finding a
> different modeline (I think Wilf's one will not work for me because it
> is for a plasma) or driver, or something else entirely?
>
> thanks,
>
> Chris

Are you sure you have GL vsync working? Until I had that enabled, bob
deint either displayed an unstable image (wobbling up and down at
approx display frequency) or a completely unwatchable streaky mess,
depending on other settings.

kerneldeit is good but not as good as a synchronised bob for motion
deinterlacing. With bob, there's no motion combing artifacts that are
sometimes visible with kerneldeint.

One other thing, bob isn't good for me if I reduce the image capture
size. Using 720 or 704 x576 looks great but below a certain number of
horizontal lines (can't remember exactly), bob starts to look much
worse than kerneldeint again...

Cheers,
Wilf.
--