[mythtv-users] Making it work

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 15:26:06 UTC 2006

On 14/09/06, Alan Chandler <alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:

> Gary Dawes writes:
> >
> > have you tried tscan at a command prompt? cnnot remember the exact
> syntax,
> > but you will need frequency and qam for you local transmitter. there is
> > plenty of stuff on the net about using the dvb utils and mplayer etc to
> > scan
> > tune, and then watch a dvb stream. try this site for information
> > http://www.carfax.org.uk/docs/DVB/
> >
> > Also this site has channel details in for various transmitters
> > http://linux.mikeasoft.com/dvb.php. What I had to do in myth was put the
> > frequency and qam in for my local transmitter, before it would scan. the
> > information you need is on the scan list for the transmitters. If the
> > entry
> > for your local transmitter has a channel list,  you could try
> downloading
> > the channel list of that site, and importing it into myth.
>

> I have tried scan (aka dvbscan - scan is Debian's name) but there is
> something I don't understand.  If you look at the supplied transmitter
> files
> (and if you look at the site references above) they only list one
> frequency.
> My nearest transmitter, UK Crystal Palace transmits digital on 6
> frequencies, and the lowest of these frequencies is below the one in the
> supplied file.  So what does the transmitter file actually tell scan.  I
> can't find any explanation of this at all.
>

> --
> Alan Chandler
> alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
> (via webmail - normally means I am not at my computer)
>
> when I did it both scan and myth seem to use the frequency listed as a
start point for the scan, and they then work it out from there. I needed to
put in extra information though, such as the qam. try putting in as much
information as you can for a full scan

try doing 2 scans one with the supplied frequency and one with the lowest
you know about, and what the difference is.