[mythtv-users] Higer load in .20

Neil Dunbar neil.dunbar at pobox.com
Thu Sep 14 17:14:33 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 16:24, Rich Harkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 11:21 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-13-09 at 17:06 +0200, barchanski at poczta.fm wrote:
> > > I have also noticed that playing LiveTV on .20 requires approx. 2 time
> > > more CPU than on 0.19
> >
> > All these complaints of load are while watching LiveTV/recordings.  Did
> > the display of recordings incorporate some kind of OpenGL changes too?
> > If not, OpenGL is a red herring here.  Let's not get distracted by
> > things that may not have anything to do with the load.

Actually, It could be related. I noticed that the %cpu taken by MFE was
jumping anywhere between 50-70 - which seemed way too high. This was when
watching LiveTV or playing back a recording. This, in turn, was pushing CPU
speed up as well as temperature.

I then turned the OpenGL vertical blanking off (in the TV Settings->Playback
menu), and noticed that the %cpu dropped to 10-15% (playing MPEG-4; it goes
to about 8% when playing MPEG-2 via XvMC).

Downside is that sometimes when changing channels, I get an irritating flicker
on the top 25% of the display. I can get rid of it by exiting LiveTV then
coming in again. I'll live with that rather than eating 60% CPU (and being
responsible for even more climate change and Arctic ice melting).

Cheers,

Neil