[mythtv-users] ATSC & QAM

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Thu Sep 14 18:42:25 UTC 2006

Aaron Howard wrote:
> 1. Is it possible/feasible/easy to combine two sources into one (the
> reverse of a splitter?) to get an OTA antenna and the cable signal
> onto one RG-6 input to a tuner card?

This question comes up every now and then but I don't recall anyone
reporting that they actually tried it. I think it should be possible as
long as you don't have frequency overlap (i.e. you don't combine
channels on the same frequency but with different modulation).

> 2. Do most HD tuner cards (I have a Kworld ATSC-110 already but I'm
> not married to it) allow switching back and forth between tuning ATSC
> and QAM channels relatively painlessly?

Yes, at the driver level, but I don't know if myth would support this.
Actually, it seems like it might work but you will have to manually edit
the dtv_multiplex table and set the 'modulation' field appropriately.
You will also have to create the video source with the combined set of
channels by hand.

Bolek