[mythtv-users] ATSC & QAM

Jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Thu Sep 14 19:11:48 UTC 2006

Aaron Howard wrote:
> Background:
>
> My cable provider does not carry all of my local OTA HD broadcasts due
> to contract disputes.  Therefore, some local HD channels (as well as
> some non-local HD like ESPNHD, TNTHD, etc.) are available via QAM-256
> from the cable system and some are only available via ATSC OTA.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible/feasible/easy to combine two sources into one (the
> reverse of a splitter?) to get an OTA antenna and the cable signal
> onto one RG-6 input to a tuner card?

Short answer - no. The OTA channels and Cable channels are on top of
each other.
> 2. Do most HD tuner cards (I have a Kworld ATSC-110 already but I'm
> not married to it) allow switching back and forth between tuning ATSC
> and QAM channels relatively painlessly?

Shameless plug, but check out HDHomeRun (www.silicondust.com) - it has
two tuners and you can use one for ATSC and one for QAM.

My home system has 4 x ATSC tuners (2 x HDHomeRun) and 2 x QAM tuners (1
x HDHomeRun).

Nick