[mythtv-users] show padding question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 14 19:44:25 UTC 2006

On 09/14/06 15:04, jack snodgrass wrote:

>I searched the FAQ and didn't find anything....
>
>on padding... cbs on monday and thurday nights run
>their 30 minute shows long. What happens if I tell
>mythtv to record the 7:00-7:30 show 2 minutes long

[using the recording rule's end late setting]

>and there is a 7:30-8:00 show?

The 7:00-7:32 show takes one capture card and the 7:30-8:00 show takes a
second card.

>  I want both shows
>recorded... i'd like the 'long' show recorded long and
>the other show ( in the same time slot ) started late...

No problem.  Make the start early for the second show -2 minutes.

>... automaticaly...

Sorry.  What you're saying is that /you/ don't trust your guide data,
but Myth was developed to trust its guide data.  If /you/ want something
different from what your guide data says, you can either a) modify the
guide data itself, or b) set up the appropriate start early/end late
settings for each recording rule.  (Note that you only really need to
set these once per season, so it's basically automatic.)

There was a lot of work on making a "soft padding" setting for Myth,
but, IIRC, it's a global setting.  Also, it has a /lot/ of (soft voice)
contorted (regular voice) logic to try to do the right thing regardless
of number of capture cards, number of shows scheduled back-to-back or
otherwise, and whatever else.  For more information, see the /entire/
thread (still in progress) at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/195124#195124

Mike