[mythtv-users] MythTV build story, Part II: x86 versus AMD64?

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 12:33:44 UTC 2006

On 9/15/06, Richard Krehbiel <richard.krehbiel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm (slowly) getting my MythTV box running, and I'm starting to second-guess
> an earlier decision, specifically to install Fedora Core 5 for 32-bit x86.
>
>  Now, I've been reading about how the x86 version RPMs of .20 were built
> without MMX enabled, because of which the performance has suffered, and how
> the 64 bit build didn't have that problem because all x86-64 platforms have
> MMX and SSE and SSE2, and so these technologies are enabled, nay required,
> by default.
>
>  And that's led me to think I should reinstall, with 64-bit FC5.
> Considering I've not even downloaded MythTV yet* this would be the perfect
> time.
>
>  Guidance?  Opinions?  Thanks.
>
>  (*My Wifi adapter, the D-Link DWL-G730AP, came yesterday, and I got it
> configured and working last night.  It's a nice little adapter.  There was
> one hiccup; when I configured the thing to support DHCP - by default it
> wants me to have a static IP - Fedora came up without a default route.  I
> had make one manually - "route add default -gw <ip>".)

The only regrets I have with the x86_64 in general is lack of support for
java and flash. I don't like those, but a lot of web sites do and I have
problems accessing them some times.

As far as performance goes, I love it.  I've got a 3800+ and 4600+ box.
The backend is a backend / firewall / print server / etc.. it runs on
the 3800+.
My personal desktop is the 4600+.

on the network stuff, add a
gateway=ip
to the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<dev> file and if needed, add
GATEWAYDEV=<dev>
to the /etc/sysconfig/network file.

Those two lines will get your default gateway setup correctly.

jack