[mythtv-users] FC5 Upgrade 0.19 -> 0.20 - Painless?

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 15 13:29:09 UTC 2006

Shanon Mulley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently running Mythtv 0.19 on FC5, installed via yum/smart
> (using the fedora repositories - I forget the specifics).
>
> Obviously I'm looking to upgrade in the near future. But, I want it to
> be absolutely painless. Right now I don't have much time to
> troubleshoot issues that might arise, so I cant afford for things to
> go wrong.
>
> So, I'm hanging back until the all the little issues with the
> repository have been sorted out.
>
> So, I my question is to those who have upgraded on FC5 from 0.19 -
> 0.20 - how painless is it at the moment? Are there any issues that
> have arisen during the upgrade? Or should I wait another week or two
> for my "Painless upgrade"?

Shanon,
    I have tried mythtv 0.20 on FC5 using smart and I went back to 0.19
I'm using FC5 - x86_64 on a Athlon 64 3200+, 1GB ram, Geforce FX 5200
AGP with a single PVR-250 recording from satellite

The upgrade itself went OK, no missing dependencies, but there are a few
issues I have that I don't have time to troubleshoot

The openGL painter of 0.20 has some menu items missing, this might be
with my openGL subsystem too. The QT is seems a bit smoother in 0.20
than 0.19
Watching tv, either live or recorded is slower, pressing the W key to
change aspect takes about 2 seconds per push and stutters the video
mythweb is almost unusable, it looks like someone was trying to group
duplicate episodes, but it ended up doubling up

if you want to try upgrading, make sure you back up your database with $
mysqldump -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg > mythtv.sql (my backup is
approx 60MB)
the database schema upgrade to 0.20 will cause problems with cutlist and
commercial flagging if you use it direct with 0.19

Right now there are both 0.20 and 0.19 rpms on atrpms, but that might
change quick
you can tell smart to keep the packages it downloads with the option #
smart config --set remove-packages=false

Hope this helps,

Richard Woelk