[mythtv-users] distribution of resources (PCs, storage)

Alexander Fisher alexjfisher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 14:11:23 UTC 2006

On 15/09/06, Chris McCuller <cpmccull at valdosta.edu> wrote:
> Allan,
>
> thanks for the perspective and suggestions. I never thought about power
> issues. I'm guessing that by you suggesting some of the lower power/less
> processing power processors, that Myth isn't very CPU intensive...
>
> if so, I've got that old PIII650 that would be a fine backend...

If you're not doing software encoding, the CPU should be fast enough.
However, not all PCI capture cards are compatible with older PCI
standards found on this era of motherboard.  For example Nova-Ts
wouldn't work in my dual P3 gigabyte MB.

Having reread your original post, two of your capture cards *do* rely
on the host CPU to compress the video.  You *might* get away with
capturing from one at a time, but recorded from both will be
impossible.  I think 1Ghz per analog capture card is recommended.

Cheers,
Alex